Tuesday, August 4, 2009

August 4

Psalm 109 & 110

I don't think the Psalmist is very happy with the "wicked and deceitful men" he writes about in chapter 109. He lists out their evil acts and describes what he hopes happens to them. They have obviously hurt him very deeply.

I have been thinking a great deal about sin in recent weeks. One of the ideas I have been pondering is that I am always disappointed in sinful action, but I am seldom surprised. I am disappointed when I see a person fail because of their sinful action. Whether it is a prominent pastor who has an affair, a church member who speaks harmfully about another member or my own terrible behavior, I am disappointed that a Christians (including me) would act that way. I have hopes that our faith would guide our behavior, but at times it is clearly not our faith guiding our lives.

At the same time, I am seldom surprised when sin rears its ugly head. Scripture makes it clear from the story of Adam and Eve in the beginning of Genesis, to the Psalms that we have been reading, that sin is a part of the human condition. Sin is so deeply embedded in our lives, that Jesus had to die for our sins to set us free. In essence, if I believe the Bible, sin is all around us. Why would I be surprised when I see sin?

Thanks be to God that sin is not the final word. Thank God, that Jesus came so we have a way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment