Wednesday, August 19, 2009

August 19

Psalm 131 & 132

"I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me."

One of the problems of living in an information age is that we hear about every problems. The major issues of our day are constantly before us. Issues such as health care reform, Afghanistan, Iraq, North Korea, the economy.... We discuss these issues with our friends, knowing we want them fixed, but we really have no more solutions than world leaders. Yet, they become our problems. We hear on the news about a crime that has taken place in Florida or California and somehow if feels as it has happened next door. The consequence is we live in a very safe community, but it feels dangerous.

I think a great deal this issue of how do you live in an information age and not "concern myself with great matters". I believe it is one of the reasons we have so much stress in our culture, a stress that I never feel when I travel to Kenya, for there I am "disconnected" from access to the information. My challenge is to deal with the issues that are present in my life, and trust God with things that are too great for me.

1 comment:

  1. Technology is a double-edged sword. Its strength is also its downfall, we can get information quickly, but we can sometimes get it too quickly. The media is notorious for playing things up so they have a headliner, and it is easy to get caught up in this drama. I have worked myself into tears before, worrying over something that I have no control of. So with all the bad things going on around us, what do we do? Stay home and hide and 'protect ourselves?' That's not what I want to do. I have to believe that God will protect me, I have to put myself in His hands. It wasn't until very recently that I let God take over something I had to do. Prior to doing that I was nervous, scared, stressed, and had a negative attitude towards the event. I was amazed to find that after I let God take over I didn't have the burden of stress or nerves, my attitude changed and I actually enjoyed myself. There were many things that went wrong and not according to MY plans, but since I had already given those up, God simply took over and worked through many people so our goal could still be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete