Thursday, August 27, 2009

August 27

Psalm 145 & 146

"The Lord is good to all, he has compassion on all he has made."

I want to think that God is on my side. I long for God's thoughts are similar to mine. I guess if I am honest, I want God to be like me. The problem is that such thinking is backward has everything backward. God doesn't want to be like me, God wants me to be like God. God sent Jesus to show us how to live, how to love one another, to help us understand how God sees the world.

This verse is a powerful word on how God sees the world. God "has compassion on all he has made". Think of the implications of that. God has compassion on people I don't like, on people I think are evil, on people that I am against. If that is the case, and I am to be like God, consider how I should change to be like God.

1 comment:

  1. How should I change to be like God... "The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love" (145:8). God is slow to anger, giving us time to confess our sins to Him. I am thankful He is unlike me in this aspect, as I am very quick to pass judgement and hold that judgement against someone for a long time. If God is willing to wait to hold judgement on me, I should do the same for others. It only takes a matter of seconds to make a first impression, but is that really enough time to figure out who someone REALLY is, what their character is? Thinking about it now, I don't think it is.
    What do I get from quickly passing poor judgement on someone? Nothing. Instead, I may have lost something, perhaps a friendship. If God passed judgement on all of us as quickly as I did, not many would be blessed by His goodness. I am thankful that He gives us time to come to Him and confess our sins, and is always waiting for us with open arms.

    ReplyDelete