Saturday, August 22, 2009

August 22

Psalm 137 & 138

The despair in Psalm 137 is almost overwhelming. Israel has been conquered by Babylon. The leadership of Israel has been taken as captives to live in Babylon. This Psalm is written by one of those captives. They see no hope. They see no future. They are wondering where God is.

That the Psalmist would go to God in pray in the midst of such despair is an amazing act of faith. Even though the Psalmist does not see God and feels abandoned by God, he reaches out to God. For me that is amazing faith.

I think it is much the same for us. When everything in life is great, faith is barely necessary to believe in God. It is when life is very difficult, when we wonder where God is or we just don't feel like believing, that is when the depth of faith is revealed. When we still reach out to God in the midst of our doubts.

1 comment:

  1. A common response to bad events in our lives is to blame God, or ask God where He was-prayer is not as common. For me, when things are going wrong, I shut down and sometimes forget to look to God. I try to take things in my own hands and do it myself, yet I never can. It is in times like these that God will reveal Himself to me and remind me that He never left or abandoned me, I was the one who turned away. Why does this happen time and time again? Shouldn't I have learned by now that turning to God is going to make everything work out right the first time? Though I mess up and try to veer off His path on to mine, I am thankful that He is always there to meet me again.

    ReplyDelete