Tuesday, August 11, 2009

August 11

Psalm 119:49-112

I had jury duty yesterday. My name was called, I filled out a questionnaire and was assigned to a jury pool in a particular court. Once the proceedings began, the prosecuting and defense attorneys each had specific amount of time to question the jury panel. They asked a number of questions about the experiences of the members of the jury pool. Their questions revolved around the issue of whether past experiences would shape the ability to be fair and unbiased. In essence, would past experience shape how the jury pool members would view this case. Person after person said their past experiences would not shape how they viewed the evidence of the trial. At first, I thought I was could be completely fair and unbiased, that seems like the right thing to say. It seems almost American. By the time I left the courtroom, not having been chosen, I realized that I could not. I am the sum of my experiences. My experiences shape who I am and how I see the world. I don't think I can just turn that off.

The Psalmist's faith and how he has experienced God in the past, shapes how he sees life. He believes that if he follows the commands of God his life will be blessed. He believes he can turn in difficult times. He believes he can complain to God about the events of life. His past experience has led him to believing that God is part of his life. Where do your past experiences with God shape your perception of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment