Thursday, December 23, 2010

Luke 3

I wonder what would happen if we started the Christmas Eve Candlelight service by calling the congregation "a brood of vipers"? I doubt if the message would be well received. The crowd listening to John seems to receive it very readily. In fact, the different groups ask what they must do to change. I don't think we need to communicate as John did, but I do think the question of how we should change is appropriate for us. Have you ever considered asking God in prayer what you must change about your life?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with Ken that we would be most upset if we went to church and were called a brood of vipers! However, it's pretty amazing the way that the crowd responded as they listened to John. They wanted to know exactly what to do. They didn't become angry and walk away.

    I like the Amplified translation of this passage: "8 Bear fruits that are deserving and consistent with [your] repentance [that is, conduct worthy of a heart changed, a heart abhorring sin]." This reminds me of our recent study and sermons on "The Hole in our Gospel." I can't just say that I "repent"; I must truly change and show it in my actions - by "bearing fruit!" Old ways, and especially habits, are difficult to change - without the aid of prayer and the work of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete