Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Luke 11

"Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened."

When my father was alive, virtually every conversation ended with my dad asking the same question, "is there anything I can do for you?" He loved me and wanted to make sure that I had everything that I needed. That experience with my dad came to mind as I was reading this passage. I see this as an expression of God's love and care for us. God wants to be with us and help us in life. Jesus teaches in this passage that in prayer God invites us to lay out all of our needs.

1 comment:

  1. This verse has always disturbed me and it has been discussed in a number of my Bible study groups. Just because I ask God for a Mercedes doesn't mean He will give it to me! In our studies, we finally came to the realization that it would be helpful for there to be one more phrase in this sentence: "according to God's will for us."

    Jesus really talked "dogmatically" to the Pharisees in this passage. I am so thankful to understand that following all the rules to try to look good doesn't get us into heaven or give us God's approval. I praise God for His amazing grace!

    ReplyDelete