Thursday, December 2, 2010

Luke 21

Being a follower of Jesus changes the manner in which we handle our money. The opening story of the widow's generosity one of many examples that Jesus gives us about generosity. I believe that most followers of Jesus want to be generous. The struggle is how to balance our daily needs and still be generous. This struggle is compounded in America because of how much we perceive as being a "daily need". We continually raise our standard of living and struggle to be generous.

One of the ideas that my dad taught me about money was deciding how much was enough. To make decisions about what standard of living was enough and how much money in the bank was enough. If we never decide how much is enough, we will always be tempted to want more, we will never be satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. I remember in one of Ken's sermons when he told us about his dad's question, "How much is enough?" That question has stuck with me after readily admitting my joy in shopping! The only excuse I have is that I cam from a childhood of poverty so I guess it seems "satisfying" to be able to buy anything - or even just to shop. I'm sorry to say that I haven't overcome that habit, but I am working on it. In fact, my present goal is to simplify and get rid of stuff instead of adding to! I know that I have to continue to pray for God's help with this issue that keeps me from being closer to Him.

    ReplyDelete