Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Luke 16

"You cannot serve both God and money"

I have never heard anyone say that they serve money. I have I never thought that I served money. I don't know if serving money is something that a person intentionally proclaims. I fear that serving money is something that subtlety happens in our lives. We never are quite satisfied with how much we have. We must have the newest technology. We are working the long hours to earn a better living for our families. We never proclaim that we are serving money but our actions give witness to the service.

This is a hard balance for us. We need money to live. We live in a culture that teaches us we never have enough and with just a little more we will be happy. Yet, we know that life is found in serving God not money. We have to find a way to always remember that money is a tool for living, not the reason for living.

1 comment:

  1. I guess that I and many others often do "serve money" rather than God. When we see the poor going hungry right here in Grapevine and do so little to help, I think that is called serving money. God told us to love Him with all our hearts and our neighbors as ourselves. When I go shopping for just one more "thing" that I probably don't need and forget my hungry and sick neighbors, I believe that is serving myself and money. I pray for God's wisdom and strength to honor Him above all else in life.

    ReplyDelete