Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday, March 26

Thursday, March 26 - James 5

"Above all, my brothers, do not swear - not by heaven or by earth or by anything else. Let you "Yes" be yes, and your "No," no, or you will be condemned."

Do people trust what I say? Have I been so consistent in my words and actions that I can tell someone "yes" and the person will believe me. Or have I lived in such a manner that saying "yes" is not enough? That in addition to "yes" I feel I must add "I promise" to persuade the person to believe me. James has reminded me many times in this short book the power of my words. But my words can lose that power when my actions and words are not consistent.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it seems that we are urged to "walk-the-talk", even from ancient days - to be less fickle in our behaviour.
    And the early part of the chapter can apply to the economic downturn we are oresently exoeriencing - where former wealth vanishes. But when it's happening to me, it's hard to heed verse 9 to "judge not that ye be judged". Maybe I can do better.

    ReplyDelete