Friday, June 25, 2010

June 25

Romans 1

This letter to the Roman's seems significant to me for a number of reasons. First, that God would use Paul, formerly Saul-a sinner, to spread His Good News and share of his good works. Just in the way that Paul's life can be used for God, ours can, too. Cindy Ryan told me that God can use us just the way we are- I think that is something very important to remember. No matter who we are, we have been chosen by God, we are important to Him.

Second, this verse strikes a chord. "They know about God, but they don't honor Him or even thank Him." v. 21 (Contemporary English Version)
I think a lot of people get lost in knowing about God, but not KNOWING God. Knowing Him personally, relationally. It's so easy to turn away in tough times, to blame God, or find an alternate means of worship, to turn to false promises of other idols, to beat our own paths. It is in times like these that we are knowing about God, but not honoring Him. Especially in today's society, with so many options for religious practices, we must be intentional in our effort to know and live in relationship with God, otherwise we will get lost in simply knowing about Him.

-Jenni


1 comment:

  1. I appreciate being reminded that God can use us "just the way we are." Another of Paul's scriptures comes to mind: "My grace is sufficient for you. My power is made perfect in weakness." To me that means that even in our weakest state, God can use us to fulfill His word.

    One of the reasons that I especially like the Companions in Christ series is that they have as a goal "spiritual formation." These lessons help be more intentional about growing in my relationship with Him. In this passage, Paul reminds us of that importance.

    ReplyDelete