Thursday, June 17, 2010

June 18

Acts 23

“Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, ‘My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day.’”

Paul is honest in his answer before the council. He had done everything God had asked him to do. Would I be able to answer in the same, honest manner as Paul if I were questioned? That’s hard. I don’t always do what God wants me to; I don’t always ‘fulfill my duty.’ Often what God wants us to do is not what we want to do. I am struggling with doing what God wants me to do, now. It does not follow the plan I have set for myself. It’s not my idea of what I want. But isn’t that just the irony of it-the plan that I set, what I want. God has a different idea for me. The best I can do is pray for guidance, for strength, and for peace with what I do. I have to think that no matter what path I choose (mine or God’s) He will never give up, that one day, He will call again and I will be faced with the same decision to make.

-Jenni

1 comment:

  1. What a thought-provoking question!! I feel sure that I rarely do exactly what God wants me to do - but I keep trying and praying to be able to do so. A couple statements from a prayer by Thomas Merton are quite reassuring to me in this matter:"..But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire."

    ReplyDelete