Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February 9

Revelation 3

There are letters to seven churches in Revelation. The letter to the Church in Laodicea is probably the most quoted. The images of being lukewarm and Jesus knocking at the door are both present in this letter. There is also the line in verse 17 that fits "The Hole In Our Gospel", "I am rich, I have acquired wealth and do not need thing." This attitude is one of the reasons that Jesus warns us about wealth. There is the temptation with money to become self-reliant instead of dependent upon Christ. The poor know they can't do it alone, they must have God. When you hear the poor pray, you can hear that desparation. The rich ask for God's help but often times it is to do what we already believe we can do ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. A good perspective to understand the humility of the poor! When we are in the "depths" of events of life is often when we pray more earnestly for God's hand! I embrace the scripture passage, "My grace is sufficient for you. My power is made perfect in WEAKNESS." I never grasped the full meaning of this passage until a few years ago when I reread it for the umpteenth time. I began understanding how God has worked in my life in the most powerful ways when I was a my weakest and most desperate state. (Some of those times most recent!) I thank God for that promise - and I'm sure poor thank him for that promise on a daily basis!!

    ReplyDelete