Friday, February 19, 2010

2/19 - Luke 12

Luke 12

Consider the order of what is presented in Luke 12. The man asks Jesus to help him with an inheritance problem. Part of Jesus response is "Take care! Protect yourself against the least bit of greed. Life is not defined by what you have, even if you have a lot." (Message translation) Jesus then tells the parable of the rich fool. The parable is full of warning about our resources. Jesus' attention moves to the disciples. He talks to them about worry and concludes with "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (NIV) Do you think Jesus is concerned about how our money will shape us?

In our study of the "Hole In Our Gospel" we have repeated heard and read that American Christians as the richest Christians who have ever lived. When Jesus speaks to the disciples in Luke 12, they have already given up everything to follow him. Yet, he warns them. What might he say to us?

2 comments:

  1. I think Jesus would tell us to re-prioritize what we have. I think in today's day so much emphasis is put on the material things we have. The focus needs to be shifted. If we 'treasure' our things, then our heart is being used for those, it is being taken away from loving God and loving those around us.
    We find satisfaction in our things, and sometimes lose the ability to find satisfaction in Christ. Having money and liking things is not a bad thing-I think it's all in the amount of importance we give them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The word that jumped out at me in the New International translation was "greed." I think Jesus might have a big discussion to many of us in America - including me! I have had this habit for many years of buying things in advance of when I might/will need them. I guess this would be called greed! If only I would heed what the Scripture says, and "Do not worry...!"

    ReplyDelete