Saturday, February 27, 2010

February 27

Matthew 21:12-17

I have never noticed before how in Matthew's telling of this story that Jesus throws not only the sellers in the temple out, but he also throws the buyers. He holds both groups responsible for making the temple a "den of robbers". I don't think this is a teaching that states we should not sell things at the church. I do think this teaching challenges us to reflect on what we do at the church. Are we keeping it a place of prayer, a place where individuals can connect their lives to God? Or have we become distracted by others things that draw our attention away from God?

2 comments:

  1. Our church seems to often have a lot going on. However, I think that these many activitis are always leading to ways to help others and glorify God. I praise God to be a part of a church that is making things happen in our neighborhood and in our world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you, Pat, our church does have a lot going on! I always look at the events scheduled in the bulletin and amazed at all the ways to get involved and connected with others who share a passion for serving God. The activities held at the church connect us not only to God, but to others like us-others who love and want to serve God.

    ReplyDelete