Friday, February 26, 2010

February 26

John 12

"Father, save me from this hour? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour."

As I read that I could hear the struggle in Jesus' life. No one wants to be crucified. Crucifixion was a brutal form of death. It is easy to see why Jesus would want God to save him from such a death. But no sooner does he say that, then he immediately submits himself to God. He recognizes he came to die to save us.

In those moments when we struggle with living the way God calls us to live, we can remember the struggle of Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. "I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it."

    I think the fact that Jesus tells us He did not come to judge us is crucial to letting ourselves fully surrender to God. Often times I think that I've done things that cannot be forgiven, or that makes me not worthy. This passage assures me that this is not true. Nothing is too big for God to forgive.
    John 16:33 tells us that we will have trouble, Jesus is telling us that we will struggle, that times will be hard, but that when we turn to Him we will find strength- "In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
    It is also reassuring to know that Jesus struggled. He was human, not exempt or excused from the trials and tribulations of everyday life, yet He was able to overcome them through His complete submission to God, and His will for His life.

    ReplyDelete