Monday, February 22, 2010

2/22 - Exodus 11

Exodus 11

Every culture has a way of viewing the world and life. The American worldview tends to be strongly individualistic. We highly values the rights of individuals. The worldview of the bible tends to value the community over the individual. Consequently, we read passages where a whole nation is punished for the actions of one person and see that as unfair. Is it fair that the stubbornness of Pharaoh to set the Israelites free results in the death of many of his people when the tenth plague comes? We think that is not fair, for many of the people were innocent. People in the ancient world understood that everyone was connected and they suffered the consequences of the actions of others.

I write this because when we read a passage such as this we think God is not being fair. That sense of unfairness arises from our worldview. We have to be careful how we judge God or others.

2 comments:

  1. I often hear people say that "life just isn't fair!" and I have to agree. Why does God bless me and so many people throughout the world (especially in our country) with such riches and blessings - and yet so many live with hunger and poverty and illness? It was a bit of comfort to read in one of my classes in spiritual direction the reminder that we are not God and therefore not really meant to understand everything that happens. Only God can do that! However, it seems that part of the understanding lies in the use of what we have to help those who "have not" - just as Ken has been telling us for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Pat in that life isn't fair. Would I want life to be fair though? What if fair is that everyone lives on less than $2 a day? What if fair doesn't benefit me-would I still want life to be fair? I think for most of us, that answer would be no, at least for me it is. Is the top 10% rule fair? I'd argue it isn't; but is it fair that children in Africa are starving? Again, I'd argue it isn't. Putting things in that perspective, my problems seem small, I can see how blessed I am. I need to continue to see that, to not lose focus when I begin to seek worldly things. Everything that God has given me is a blessing.
    Pat, I like that your reminder- we aren't God, and we don't know-we can only use what God has given us to its fullest potential-for His glory!

    ReplyDelete