Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Wednesday, April 1

Wednesday, April 1 - Mark 6

"Whatever you ask I will give you, up to half of my kingdom....The head of John the Baptist...The King was greatly distressed."

The story implies that in a moment of excitement the King made a great proclamation. A dance was so wonderful that the dancer would receive up to half his kingdom. Must have been an amazing dance! Of course, what she asks for, the head of John the Baptist, is stunning. Hard to imagine to carrying such hatred that when you could get anything, you choose to take some one's head. Almost as equally stunning that the King goes through with the beheading.

I don't know which part of the story is more powerful for me. The power of our words to shape our future, even when we are overstating things. Or the power of vengeance to shape our lives. I do know that vengeance leads nowhere good and I need to be careful of the words I speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment