Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday, April 3

Friday, April 3 - Mark 8

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up the cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it."

Jesus seems to constantly ask me to act in ways that do not feel natural. It is natural to want to strike back when I have been hurt, yet he says to turn the other check. It is natural to not forgive when I have been deeply injured, but he teaches to forgive. It is natural to want to keep for myself, he teaches to share. It is natural to want to save my life, and he I must lose it to save it. Maybe this is the reason it is so difficult at times to be a Christian. Jesus keeps asking me to do things that don't feel natural. They require intentional effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment