Monday, April 27, 2009

Monday, April 27

Genesis 12

A startling aspect of this chapter is the faith that Abram shows in leaving everything to follow God and then the lack of faith when he has to go to Egypt. Isn't it amazing how one day we can have great faith and the next day struggle so desperately with doubt?

I wanted you to read this chapter about Abram before starting the story of Joseph. Abram is Joseph's great grandfather. The promise he makes to Abram of "I will make you into a great nation" is part of the story of Joseph. As you read the story of Joseph consider how God works to protect the family line of Abram through Joseph.

2 comments:

  1. I found the visual in yesterday's sermon about God's will flowing like a stream down a mountain, really powerful. Regardless of what we do or what happens to us, God will meet us right there and his will continues. I find that really reassuring and such a strong statment of God's will. I had never thought of the story of Joseph in terms of God saving his family line. No matter what happened to Joseph, he was faithful to God, he did the right thing and because of that, God's will was done. It gives me a new perspective on my life, no matter how many times I fail to do what I am supposed to do, God will meet me right where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abram's faith in following God's command is truly amazing. He immediately picked up his life and left his home and went to create his own nation. I was encouraged by the fact that upon arrival in Egypt, Abram lost trust in God, yet God still protected him. This exemplifies the forgiving nature of our God. God made a promise to Abram, to bless him, and despite Abram's deviance, God followed through. It is encouraging because I know how many times I don't put my trust in God, He will still be there to protect me. Like God does not abandon Abram, He will not abandon me.

    ReplyDelete