Friday, January 8, 2010

January 8

Matthew 4:1-11

There are so many thoughts that come with this passage.
- The Spirit leading Jesus to be tested by the devil
- Jesus' preparation of fasting for 40 days.
- Jesus' use of scripture to turn the temptation away.

The idea that resonated with me this morning is how the devil used three different types of temptations on Jesus. The devil was looking for the point at which Jesus was vulnerable to the temptation.

We are not all vulnerable to the same temptation. What tempts you may be of no temptation to me. What tempts me may not tempt you. The crucial point in this is to understand where we are vulnerable. As an alcoholic knows he can't go into a bar, we need to understand the points where we need to flee and ask for God's help.

2 comments:

  1. This passage rung very near and dear to me, this morning. Going through a difficult time of my own, I often think about how much easier it would be if I just gave up, give in to what I really want to do-regardless of how it would harm my body. Jesus could have ended the fasting, he could have turned the stones into bread, he could have taken the easy road. I've come to see and learn recently that God's way is not the easiest way. I think He presents us with so many challenges and obstacles so we will turn to Him. In order to fight my temptation I have turned to this devotional, to the daily reading and study of His word. The effects it has had keeps me in awe every day. I had never used God's word as a working tool, yet that is why He gave it to us, and the powerful effects it can have are amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to be reminded that even Jesus was tempted so He knows what we are going through when we have temptations! Extending on what Jenni had to say about "taking the easy road," I wonder if that is our greatest temptation - to take the easy road. It seems that I do that more often that I would like to admit. I am so thankful that we have Scripture to help us during our difficult times!

    ReplyDelete