Monday, January 4, 2010

January 4

Matthew 2:13-18


I wonder how Mary and Joseph feel every time an angel shows up. Angels come to tell Mary she will bear a child while a virgin, to tell Joseph to marry her even though he is not the father, and in this passage to tell them to flee Herod. Seems like every time an angel appears, their lives change radically.

Of course, an angel doesn't need to come when life is moving smoothly. God speaks in our lives when radical change is needed. Angels arrive, or more often for us, the Holy Spirit moves within us, when God seeks to change the direction of our lives.

2 comments:

  1. If I were Mary and Joseph, I wouldn't be rejoicing when an angel came. I think after receiving so many messages like they had, I would be somewhat defiant to listen. After bearing a child as a virgin, traveling to Bethlehem, then having a baby in a cave-I don't think I'd want to pack up and leave again. I wonder if Mary and Joseph ever asked "why us?" or "again Lord?" It seems to be one thing after another. Their life wasn't moving smoothly.

    I've found that when God comes to someone, He doesn't make it easy. If following Him were an easy path, wouldn't a lot more people do it? It's hard. He puts us through things that we couldn't survive on our own, forcing us to either rely on Him or fall. I think I am currently in the process of changing directions. It hasn't been an overnight process, nor has it been completely enjoyable. He is building me up again. Mary and Joseph seem to be getting one bad break after the next, yet each time they follow and obey and God protects them. I have to believe that if we listen and follow Him where He leads us-no matter how much we don't want to go there, or how difficult it may seem-He will guide and protect us, making us stronger than we were before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder how many times that I (and probably most of us) ignore the words of angels (not those with wings but in the form of people)when they are spoken to us?? Of course, we first have to know if these words are truly from God or not!

    I surely agree with Jenny in that God IS with us in all situations - especially those that are very difficult - and that he will build us up/help us grow from these times!

    ReplyDelete