Thursday, January 28, 2010

January 28

Matthew 14

I am not sure which is the more stunning miracle; walking on water and inviting Peter to join him or feeding 5000 men and their families. Matthew makes sure we realize the amazing power of God in Jesus' life in this chapter. I don't think there is any place in the scripture where we are invited to walk on water. There are many places where we are invited to feed the hungry.

One emerging ministry of our church that I love is the way we feed people. It is just an estimate, but we feed 70,000+ meals last year between the work in Kenya and Grapevine. I give thanks to God for that and pray that we stay open as individuals and as a congregation to other opportunities to feed the hungry.

2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of the way our church reaches out to ALL of our neighbors! The support and participation in these ministries is so amazing to me-an example of God's work. These programs would be nothing without the support of all of the volunteers.
    I am deeply touched by the Feed Our Kids program. I never thought that my close neighbors would be wondering where food came from, or would use the meal we provide over the summer as a meal for the day. I didn't see hungry and needy in places like Grapevine. They're there, I know that now. It is easy to see there is hunger where a majority of the population lives in poverty, we sometimes miss it when it's so close to home, where most of us are 'rich.' I missed it. How awesome that our church is not blind to this, we don't 'miss it.' This is seeing through God's eyes, and I think by continuing to do so, more opportunities to feed the hungry will appear. I am certain that when these opportunities appear, there will be people ready and willing to donate time and resources to ensure its success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like kind of a miracle to realize that our church helped provide over 70,000 meals! I'm so glad that we are beginning to see the world through God's eyes - and with His compassion and love.

    ReplyDelete