Tuesday, January 19, 2010

January 19

Luke 4:16-30

This passage records the first public words of Jesus in his home town of Nazareth. His quotes Isaiah in defining what his mission is:

to preach good news to the poor
to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
recovery of sight to the blind
to release the oppressed
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor

What is God calling you to do in life? It may not be as clear for you as it was for Jesus, but consider this, his mission was to help others in difficult situations. How could you begin to help others today?

2 comments:

  1. I believe that God is calling me back to Africa, to help the children there in some way. They are in difficult situations-lacking water, food, and shelter. After Jesus told those in the synagogue that they must go outside their hometown, outside their comfort zone and help those who are needy, their attitudes turned and they wanted to kill Him. I've never wanted to kill Jesus, but I have questioned why me, why this. I am perfectly comfortable in my home and in Dallas...Oklahoma was a culture shock, so why would He call me back to Africa? After reading this passage, I think that is exactly what God wants of us. I think that He wants us to be challenged and to reach out to those who we would not normally seek out to help on an everyday basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree in that I feel God often calls us to difficult situations - out of our comfort zone.I have often said that I wish I could see the burning bush or get an email from God or something that specifically tells me what to do. Even though I have studied scripture since college, it is often one like this passage that "jumps out" and speaks clearly to me!

    I've heard various positive - and not so positive - comments about our book study of The Hole in Our Gospel." However, to me its essence is spoken in this passage as Jesus is telling us to "do something!"

    ReplyDelete