Wednesday, January 13, 2010

January 13

Proverbs 19

"He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord"

If you have not looked at the six week quest daily devotional, please click on the link. Once on the page click on the link that ranks where you rank in the world in terms of wealth. If you are a youth living at home, use your parent's income.

http://www.sixweekquest.com/pages/day4

One of the interesting things about wealth is how we compare ourselves. If I compare myself to Bill Gates, I am destitute. If I compare myself to a poor person in Kenya, I am very wealthy. Using a tool like this website gives us a better worldview of where we fit in the world.

The average household income in Grapevine is $87,314. If you are an average Grapevine resident that puts you in the top o.74% in the world. That means that you are wealthier that 99.24% of the people in the world! If that is true, then this passage speaks directly to you.

1 comment:

  1. I'm blessed, that's all I can say. I always thought that my family was fortunate; we live in a nice house, in a nice community, my parents are able to provide my sister and me with more than we need, but I never considered us as rich. I was looking at this from a very narrow viewpoint, I had never considered it in comparison to the whole world. I've been thinking about this all day, about how much I have.
    Yesterday, I learned about Kiva, a microloan company that provides loans to entrepreneurs around the world from individual donations beginning at $25. $25, which to me is minimal, could change someone's life.
    In one of my classes we spoke about material threshold, and participated in an exercise to determine our personal limit. Consider you're doing laundry at the laundromat (a common college activity) and money falls out of your wallet/pocket/purse. You're trying to squeeze this in between classes and you're already running late, by the time you realize the money is missing you're halfway back to campus. At what amount would you turn around and get the money? $1? $5? $10? I said I wouldn't go back for anything less than $15, considering anything less to be a wash. To me, $15 is a nominal amount, but to others, it could make a huge impact. After considering where I rank (thanks to my parents) on a worldly level I realized how much I take for granted. I also see how fortunate I am and how I have the means and opportunity to reach out and help others.

    ReplyDelete