Monday, January 11, 2010

January 11

Isaiah 49:1-12

The scriptures we will be reading for the next six weeks are connected to the "Hole In the Gospel". There is a website connected with the study that has daily scriptures and questions for you to consider. They give a single verse to read each day. I have expanded what they give to read. Here is the link: www.sixweekquest.com The link is also on the church website.

This passage speaks of the time the when Israel will be restored. In verse 10, "They will neither hunger nor thirst, nor will the desert heat or sun beat upon them". As I was reading this, I could not help but think of how fortunate I am to live in a place where I am never hunger or thirsty. If I am hot or cold, I can simply change the thermostat and the temperature is as I desire. I am among the most blessed people who have ever lived on this planet! I give God praise that I live in this time, in this place.

2 comments:

  1. I share in Ken's praise about the fact that "I am among the most blessed people who have ever lived on this planet!" The scripture that spoke to me most directly today was the one on the link to our study, I John 3:17: "If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?" This single verse is so profound that it will surely change the heart and mind and service of all who read it and believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read more of The Hole in Our Gospel and learn more about what God really wants of me. I am among the most blessed people who have ever lived! Not only do I live in a day and age of advanced technology and profound knowledge, but I was blessed to be born in America, to a family who has been able to provide and support me for the past 20 years. I don't have to worry about where my next meal is going to come from, or where I will sleep-some of my most difficult daily decisions include what to order at Starbucks. I was struck by what Richard Stearns said in the video posted on the six week quest website-that as Americans we are called to not turn our backs on those who are hurting, but we are called to love them like God loves them. So often I hear people complaining about overseas mission trips, to Africa and China and Mexico, they don't understand the point of sending their people and resources so far away when there is need so close to home. I disagree with this part of the population and side with Stearns. As Americans we are blessed with so many means and tools to reach out and help these people who otherwise, within their country, could not be helped.

    ReplyDelete