Monday, January 18, 2010

1/18 - Isaiah 41

Isaiah 41

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God."

Fear comes at us from many directions. We fear issues like war or the economy that are beyond our control. We fear moments that are part of our daily life, such as sounds in the middle of the night. We fear what the future will hold or the consequences of our past. We fear for our safety so that we lock or alarm everything.

Yet, in scripture we are told not to fear. I am called to have faith in the place of fear. That is one of those thoughts that is much easier said than done. Of course when I think about it, most of my fears are never realized. Most of my fears arise from ideas I hear in the media that have nothing to do with me. Life would probably be much easier if everything I had a tingling of fear, I intentionally turned my thoughts towards God.

2 comments:

  1. Recently one of my worst fears became a reality-not to me, but to a good friend of mine. I can honestly say that the pain, hurt, and sadness I feel is as if it happened to me, too. I've never been one to live in fear or assume the worst, but what happens when the worst does happen? Is it safe to trust those instincts again? I know she has relied on God a lot lately, and I pray she continues to. In this passage God is telling us we can't live our lives in fear. He is not saying that we will never experience bad things, but that through it all He is with us, so that during those times we can turn to and lean on Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that the older I get, the more fears I have. There are several scriptures that help but one in particular is from Philippians 4: "Then you will experience God's peace, whihc exceeds anything we can understand."

    ReplyDelete