Monday, September 28, 2009

September 28

Acts 2

This week the passages focus on presence and being together in community.

What an amazing day is described in Acts 2. The disciples are together in the upper room. The Holy Spirit descends upon them like wind and fire. They move out into the streets to preach. 3000 accept Christ and were baptized.

One of the signs of how radical a transformation the people went through that day comes in verse 44. "All the believers were together and held everything in common." The passage does not say they were required to do this, but the response of the people was to do so. Can you imagine what would happen today if we said that every person who joined our church should sell all that they have and we would hold everything in common? I am not interested in doing this. I have to ask myself why I am not interested. Is it because I don't trust others to handle the money well? Or maybe it is because I like my money and my possessions a little too much? Are you interested in doing as the early church members did? If not, why not?

1 comment:

  1. I would like to think I am interested in doing as the early church members did, but if I want to be honest, I'm not. I'll be the first to admit that I like my stuff a little too much... maybe a lot too much.
    These new believers are literally ridding themselves of their worldly possessions. I have a lot of worldly possessions, does that mean that I must rid myself of them in order to follow God? I don't think it does-I think we are to make the distinction in what is really important and be WILLING to give up what we have for God.
    But the question of why I am not interested in doing so remains. As I get closer and closer to "the real world" every day, I am constantly reminded of all of the responsibilities that come with it-mainly bills and other living expenses. I have grown up in a home that has provided me with everything I have needed (and wanted). My family has been blessed.
    When focusing on my career choice, I originally chose my degree because I knew it would be very profitable and I could live very comfortably. Recently, though, my goal has changed. My major is the same, but what I want to do with it is different. I know that it may not be as profitable and I am taking a much larger risk, but it is something I feel passionate about. Every now and then I consider what I am "giving up." Mainly the salary. Why do I focus so much on the money? I do not consider myself to be a worldly person, but in moments like these I sometimes feel guilty for holding money higher than living for God. I need to have faith, that if I choose to follow Him, I will be provided with everything I need. I believe that these early members had that kind of faith.

    ReplyDelete