Thursday, September 24, 2009

9/24 - John 11:38-44

John 11:38-44

Jesus does many miracles in the gospels. He feeds the 5000, gives sight to the blind and cures those with leprosy. Seldom when he does a miracle is a prayer included in the story. In raising Lazarus a prayer is included. What is fascinating about this prayer is that Jesus says it is more for those who hear his prayer than for God.

You probably have someone that you are close enough to that you can just look at them and know what the other is thinking. Or you have looks you give each other that speak loudly without a word being said. Those experiences come from being closely connected to another. I think we catch a glimpse of Jesus' intimacy with God in this moment. His prayer is not for God, he and God are already connected in this moment, his prayer is for others who are listening.

Can you imagine a point in your relationship with God when you just know what God would be thinking in a situation? A situation where you don't have to think through what God would want you to do, you could just act.

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about why Matthew includes Jesus' prayers, and I think this passage in John answers my questions as to why. Jesus is praying to God so that others can hear Him and believe that He is the Son of God. It seems that most of Jesus' prayers that he speaks aloud are simple-as models for us to follow, perhaps.
    Before reading this passage, I never considered the fact that Jesus had no need to pray aloud. He was able to communicate on the most intimate level with God, where words were not necessary.
    I think my life would be much less complicated if I automatically knew what God would be thinking of a situation, if I didn't have to step back and consider the outcomes. I think I can strengthen my relationship with Him by spending time in scripture, studying and memorizing verses. Through reading I am learning more about who God is. He knows me, so now it's up to me to truly know Him.

    ReplyDelete