Wednesday, September 23, 2009

9/23 - Matthew 27:45-54 &

Matthew 27:45-54 & Luke 23:44-49

That Jesus was on the cross as he says these two prayers is amazing. The Matthew prayer expresses a sense of abandonment, the Luke prayer commits his soul to God. Why would the gospel writers decide to include these prayers? Could it be because they give insight into the experience of Jesus? The Matthew prayer shows the physical agony he is experiencing, so great that he thought God had abandoned him. The Luke prayer suggests his openness to God at the end of his life.

If someone were to examine your prayers, what would the person learn about your relationship with God?

1 comment:

  1. When I go to God in prayer, it is because I have a need, and I couldn't accommodate it on my own. While I believe I should go to God with my larger needs, I think I should go when they are small, and to give thanks to Him as well. It is hard for me to ask God for some things-I don't like to ask, so I will hint at what I really want.
    Jesus is very direct when speaking to God, which is what we should be, too. His prayers seem to be short and simple. Scripture says that we are not to get bogged down in words to make our prayer seem longer or more powerful-God will hear us either way.
    If someone were to read my prayers they may find that I may fear God too much. I am sometimes timid to go to Him with some things because they seem too petty or selfish. My prayers focus more on the needs of others and "big" things in my life, rather than just the strength to get through each day and to be a living example of His grace.

    ReplyDelete