Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sept. 15 - Mark 9:33-37

Mark 9:33-37

You have to wonder what were the disciples thinking when they were arguing who was the greatest? It is no wonder that they remain silent when Jesus asks them what they were arguing about. How could you be a disciple of Jesus and find yourself arguing with other disciples about who was the greatest? Their argument makes it seems as if they weren't paying attention. Do you have such moments? Where your actions or words make it appear that you are no longer paying attention to Jesus?

1 comment:

  1. I find it funny how Jesus' definition and idea of first differs from ours. Being first is drilled in to our heads from an early age. I am constantly thinking of ways I can get ahead or be better or improve, and honestly, it's tiring. All of these ways however, are mine, not God's. I sometimes find myself pushing God aside, or just going through the motions because it needs to be done. For example, this devotional. It is hard for me to clear my head and focus on the text and message in front of me-I'm thinking about what else I have to get done. I constantly have to remind myself why I am reading the Bible and what I want to get out of it. I would say this action of blazing through devotional time, because I know it's something I need to do, would make it apparent I am no longer listening to Jesus. I have just made it another thing to check off of my to-do list rather than taking the time because I look forward to spending it with Him.

    ReplyDelete