Sunday, September 20, 2009

September 21

9/21 - Matthew 6:1-15

This week we will be looking at passages in which Jesus teaches about prayer or prays. This passage contains the most famous of all prayers. A prayer that we recite so often that we may not pay attention to what we are praying. Spend some time today looking at this model prayer of Jesus. To give you another way to look at this prayer, here is the version from "The Message"

Our Father in heaven
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right.
Do what is best -- as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!
You can do anything you want!
You're ablaze in beauty!
Yes. Yes. Yes.

1 comment:

  1. I read this same passage this morning as part of another Bible study I am currently in! It is amazing to me how many of these passages overlap, it's like God is pointing me towards something, like He is really speaking to me through His words.

    Prayer is a hard thing for me. I feel uncomfortable praying aloud and in front of groups. My prayers are simple ones, so I sometimes felt inferior, because some people are so eloquent with words and able to arrange them into beautifully spoken prayers. This is not a gift I have, it does not come naturally to me. The fact that Jesus gives us this simple prayer as a model is comforting. As He said, God already knows all of our wants and needs before we ask for them. The point is not how long or how beautifully crafted our prayer is, the point of prayer is that we are humbled before Him, recognizing that He is the only one who can truly provide what we need.

    ReplyDelete