Friday, September 18, 2009

Sept. 18 - Matthew 27:11-66

Matthew 27:11-66

"I am innocent of this man's blood." "It is your responsibility!"

How can Pilate be innocent? He is the one who has the power to set Jesus free or put him to death. Just because he does what the crowd wants, the power to decide is his. He is the one who is responsible.

There are moments when it is easier to blame someone else rather than accept responsibility for my own actions. When I learn to accept responsibility, life will go better for me.

1 comment:

  1. How many times in my life have I blamed my actions on culture, thinking that it is okay because it is socially acceptable? I am focusing on the world rather than on God. I have the choice, but why do I choose, like Pilate, to go along with the crowd? A part of me doesn't want to admit I am wrong, or have done wrong, or in a sense, failed at something. If I can push the blame off on someone else, it makes it 'easier' to deal with or accept. I think about times that I've pushed responsibility or blame on someone else, and I feel a little knot form in the pit of my stomach. I know it was wrong, yet I did it and continue to do so anyways. There is the constant fear that someone might find me out, that really I did have control over the outcome and then I'll receive blame anyway. I wonder if Pilate ever felt this way.
    Taking responsibility for our actions is a way we model our lives after Christ. I think that if we recognize our responsibility, and hold ourselves accountable, we are then able to ask for forgiveness of our actions. If we don't accept our actions, then we lose this privilege.

    ReplyDelete