Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sept. 16 - Matthew 26:14-30, 27:1-10

Sept. 16 - Matthew 26:14-30, 27:1-10

"Surely not I, Rabbi?"

What was Judas thinking? There has been tremendous speculation about what Judas was thinking among Christians for the past 2000 years. Some believe that Judas was trying to force Jesus into leading Israel to freedom from the Romans. Others believe that Judas felt betrayed by Jesus. Does it matter why he did it? The reason might make us feel better, but obviously it did not help Judas. Whatever his reason, the final act of Judas' life was one of regretting what he had done.

What I find of value in this is that neither Jesus or God gave up on Judas. Judas commits suicide, but it is not because he has been spurned by God. That was his choice If Jesus could forgive Peter for his betrayal, I can't help but think he would have forgiven Judas. I wish Judas would have given him the opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. I find it ironic that Jesus would tell Judas He knows he is the one who will betray Him, and Judas STILL does so. Usually if I'm caught before I even commit an act, I don't follow through, at that point it's a lost cause.
    Why did Peter ask for forgiveness and not Judas? They both denied knowing Jesus, so wouldn't they both be granted that opportunity. I like how you stated that committing suicide was Judas' choice. God did not force him to his death, that is not the nature of God.
    Another part of me though, wonders if this had to be done to fulfill the prophecy. I still do not think that God forced Him to this, but I think that God knew it would be done, and therefore predicted it. The same goes for Jesus being crucified on the cross. Did he HAVE to die that way? I think that He did for the same reasons. Am I thinking about this in the right way?

    ReplyDelete