Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Wednesday, April 20 by Dr. Cindy Ryan

Read Mark 10:17-52.

Would you rather be rich, confused or loud?  The rich young ruler asks Jesus how to inherit eternal life.  Jesus tells him to sell his possessions and give them to the poor.  The young man walks away “with a heavy heart because he was holding tightly to a lot of things and not about to let go.” The Message

This story leads to a discussion among the disciples about who gets into heaven.  Jesus tells them it is practically impossible-except with God’s help.  The disciples are confused and stay confused and then something interesting happens.

A blind beggar hears that Jesus is coming by. He screams at the top of his lungs, “Son of David, Jesus! Mercy, have mercy on me.” He is so loud that many try to hush him.  He yells louder.  Scripture tells us this man is healed.

Would you rather be rich and so attached to things that you walk away from Jesus?  Or like the disciples, confused and searching for a loophole into heaven?  Or, the loud guy who just knows he needs Jesus?
God help us to be loud and unashamed in our need of you.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This passage makes me realize that it's o.k. to not be rich! I'll have to admit that I do feel rich in God's blessings - just not with money!

    Cindy's words are a wonderful reminder of our need for Jesus and to be unashamed to declare that need! As I look around at some of my friends who are in such great need, I am amazed at how they are still filled with God's joy and peace! They are a blessing to all who know them.

    I'm reminded of the hymn, "I Need Thee Every Hour." What a powerful prayer as I do need Him every hour and minute of every day!

    ReplyDelete