Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday, April 22 by Rev. Armando Alvarado

Read Mark 12.

“The truth is that this poor widow gave more to the collection than all the others put together. All the others gave what they’ll never miss; she gave extravagantly what she couldn’t afford – she gave her all.” Mark 12:44 (The Message)

“I’m looking for people to help bag food for Weekend Food. Do you know anyone that might be interested?” During the message in the Spanish Service one Sunday, I mentioned how Weekend Foods was changing lives. How First Methodist was involved in helping children and families have food over the weekend. Wow! What a surprise! People from the Spanish Service asked if they could help. Time is very important for people who have very little. Time spent working is critical to making money in order to support their family. One day or a whole week without work can put some of the families in the Grapevine Village in a hole from which they can’t recover without assistance. Yet they are willing to use their time to help prepare bags of food for children in the schools. And many volunteer for other ministries as well. When I think about the scripture passage above, it challenges me and causes me to wonder if I give extravagantly and give it my all? Have you surrendered it all to Jesus? I believe that Jesus tells his disciples what he observes about the poor widow is imperative and an example of what we believe. Trust the Lord.

God, creator of the universe and of life, we praise and bless your name. Teach us how to fully trust in you. Teach us how to be your faithful disciples. In the name of Jesus Christ,  Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. I use "lack of time" as a typical excuse for not always doing what God wants me to do. I thank God for his amazing grace and forgiveness, and also pray that He will guide me to give my all to Him.

    ReplyDelete