Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tuesday, March 22 by Cheri Rutledge

Read Mark 3:31-35.

At first glance, this passage caused me a bit of concern. It’s as if Jesus is denying His mother and brothers. But when we think about the nature of Jesus, the true meaning of His words become clear. Jesus lived His life teaching, healing, helping the poor and hungry and loving all of mankind. His love did not discriminate. He loved everyone equally. When we understand Jesus in this way, it’s easy to see why, when told that His mother and brothers were outside looking for Him, He replied “Who are my mother and my brothers?” And as He looked at those seated around Him, He said “Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.”

Heavenly Father, we have so much trouble “loving our neighbor” as You tell us to do. Help us to remember that we are all Your children. Help us find a way to open our hearts, using Jesus’ example, and learn to love others as our brothers and sisters. Thank you for loving us so completely Lord. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. This makes me think with gratefulness for my church family. What a wonderful blessing to have each other - a wonderful group of people who really care!

    ReplyDelete