Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday, March 12 by Rev. Armando Alvarado

Read Mark 1:29-39.

One morning, I was driving to church, drinking my coffee and listening to some Spanish Cumbia music. Traffic was moving at a great pace. The sun was shining, the trees looked healthy, and people were happy. I believe I heard and saw birds singing and dancing to the Spanish rhythms on the radio. Then suddenly, my Blackberry started to vibrate, phone calls, text messages, and emails were bombarding me. Messages! Messages! Messages! Now, don’t get me wrong, I love technology, but this was too much! I began to panic… like a roller coaster ride…you begin to climb and climb and climb, then gravity kicks in…you start to fall at 80 MPH…hair and skin blown back! At the end of your ride, you’re left with an unwanted permanent grin on your face.

Has this ever happened to you? Life keeps throwing you to one side then to the other as if you’re riding on that roller coaster. You ask yourself, “When will all of this stop?” Does it ever stop? I believe Jesus was in a groove, healing people, casting out demons and proclaiming the Good News! But if you stop and look at what Jesus does, he’s intentional about stopping. In the midst of healing others, he takes time to restore and regain the energy God gives him. Jesus prays. Have you taken that time to pray? Don’t let the messages and concerns of the world overwhelm you! As we prepare our hearts for the celebration and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, take the time to break away and get re-energized. PRAY! 

Almighty God, you know my heart and you know my purpose. Guide me in the midst of my life. Inspire me to rest and regain the energy you provide for me. Bring me to a deserted place where I may be intentional about finding healing and comfort in your presence. Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Several of my good friends tell me that I have a difficult time saying to myself, "It's time to stop and rest!" My spiritual director told me how she does this; she "celebrates the Sabbath" - not on Sunday but one day of the week as a day of total rest and restoration. After I heard her story of how refreshing that day was, this has been my goal. After all, that's what Jesus did, and I am supposed to be trying to be more like Him! He knew what the human body needs - but I still don't seem to have that figured out yet!!

    ReplyDelete