Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday, March 20 by Rev. Nathan Firmin

Read Mark 14:26-52.

When I read this passage, I see one of the most personal passages in all of Scripture.  It is like walking with Jesus and his disciples.  The situation is like a slow motion train wreck - one collapse after another until Jesus is in the hands of those who wish him dead.

The first inkling of disaster comes in verse 29, when Jesus tells Peter that he will deny him that night.  Peter blusters that he will never deny Jesus.  The rest of the disciples chime in that they will never deny Jesus either.  The train is on a collision course.

In the Garden of Gethsemane, the disciples cannot stay awake and pray with Jesus.  He is left alone to wrestle with the pain of loneliness on top of the vision of a painful death.  The pileup begins. 

The crowd approaches to arrest Jesus.  With a kiss that would at any other time show respect and admiration for a beloved teacher, Judas betrays his Rabbi.  The pileup grinds ever higher. 

Someone pulls a sword to fight off the crowd, but loses heart against overwhelming force and flees.  The crowd takes Jesus away to face his accusers, who take no chances.  They have false witnesses ready to seal his fate.  The crowd is now ready to have their way.  The entire train is off the tracks.

I hate failing.  I really hate failing in a public, personally humiliating way.  So did the disciples.  But, in this passage, I see a Christ who knows humiliation, who understands the weaknesses in my soul, but still won’t let me go to the dark places alone. 

Lord, help me forgive those who despise me.  Help me forgive myself when I give up on Your Grace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment