Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Numbers 15

The Israelites are given instructions on how to present an offering to the Lord. The offering is given to ask for forgiveness of their sins. Through the work of Jesus we no longer must present an offer to receive forgiveness. We are forgiven as we simply ask.

The story about the man breaking the Sabbath caught me by surprise. I had forgotten that a man was put to death for breaking the Sabbath. The Sabbath is the day set aside for rest and worship. The man worked by gathering wood on the Sabbath. If you think about it, the Sabbath is probably the most neglected of the 10 commandments in our culture. But it is listed right along with adultery, murder and the others. God takes it very seriously. The irony is that it is a commandment that is very much for our good. God created us needing rest, so God commanded that we take the rest. We tend to think we have too much to do to obey God.

1 comment:

  1. The story about the man breaking the Sabbath also caught me by surprise! The older I get the more I realize the importance of taking time to rest. I got out of the routine/commandment of resting one day a week when I was a single parent sometimes working two jobs. However, I now have no excuse but will admit that this has been a difficult habit (not resting) to break! Thank God for sending His precious Son so that we can be forgiven for not doing His will.

    ReplyDelete