Friday, April 16, 2010

April 16

Psalm 38

"My guilt has overwhelm me, like a burden too heavy to bear"

When we recognize and acknowledge our sins, it can often seem like it is too much to handle-'like a burden too heavy to bear.' In this passage, the psalmist draws a connection between the pain and troubles felt and the sins committed. I think this psalm describes all of the power that our sin can hold over us. It causes not only physical distress, but emotional as well. The psalmist feels alone and abandoned in his time of need, as his his friends will not come near him. The first part of the psalm is kind of difficult to read, I know I don't want to acknowledge that sin holds that much power of me, but the truth is it does. The end of the psalm, though, provides hope. The last verses of the psalm place hope solely on God, for He is the only one who can take away the pain felt by our iniquities.

-Jenni

1 comment:

  1. I would like to know if in this passage we are being told that sin and guilt cause us much physical, emotional and spiritual pain. The doctors tell us that now after many years of research - but many of the Psalms were written about 3000 years ago!

    Again, we see the need and importance of calling on our Lord for forgiveness. I thank God for that privilege in order that we can live life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete