Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday, May 11

Esther 1 & 2

The differences between our culture and the culture in which Esther lived become apparent very quickly in this story. It is obvious that the king wanted a wife to be seen, not heard. The idea that the lack of obedience by Vashti was a crisis to all the leaders because it might change their wives behavior is almost comical. As much as things have changed, some remain the same. You could say that the idea that there would be a competition to discover the new queen could almost be seen as an ancient equivelant to the TV show "The Bachelor".

Customs change. Basic human behavior seems to stay the same. That is part of what makes scripture so relevant in our day. Issues of power and being in control are part of our daily living, much as they were in Esther's day. The customs have changed but people have not.

That is why God sent Jesus. We need the human model of how to live and the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit to help us break the self-destructive habits of our lives.

On a personal note, my dad died last night. We had the amazing privilege of being at his side as he died. He was a great father for me. I will miss him greatly. But I am glad he no longer has to suffer with pain.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11 May, 2009

    We'll pray that the Lord gives you and your family peace and comfort through this difficult time. Your dad will always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find humor in the procedure in the 12 month protocol the women went through in order to be fit to see the King. It is almost identical to that of The Bachelor! (maybe that's where the producers got the idea?)
    Being in control or having power applies not only to over others, but over ourselves. I know I find that whatever the situation is, I want to fix it, to handle it on my own. There have been events in my life that have humbled me and made me realize that I can't do it on my own...and God doesn't expect me to. This is much easier said than done, though. Every day is a struggle, full of things that aren't really problems, or things I think I can fix myself, or do on my own. I have to make a conscientious effort to focus on God, and ask for His help, power, and direction.

    I'm sorry for your loss. I know that God will be with you and your family during this time, and I will be lifting you up in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete