Friday, May 22, 2009

May 22 - 1 Corinthians 14

1 Corinthians 14

Paul is addressing a problem in the Corinth church. Evidently, many in the church were speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues is a spiritual gift where the Holy Spirit speaks through the person in an angelic language. There was a major emphasis in the Corinthian church and tongues was seen as a very important spiritual gift that dominated their worship. Paul teaches them that it is a spiritual gift that blesses the individual but of little use to the rest of the community that cannot understand what is being said. When they are together for worship, they should use spiritual gifts like prophecy that everyone can understand. He wrote, "But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue."

What does this have to do with us? I think it is a reminder that it is "not about me". Even in worship I am part of a community of faith. I am to always reach out or pay attention to my neighbor who I am to love as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment