Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 26

1 John 2

"9Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. 10Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble. 11But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness; he does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded him."

How we treat people around us is a sign of God's presence in our lives. If we hate our brother, that says far more about the darkness we live in than the life of our brother. This is one of those lines where we want to say, "Yes, but" and then we give the justification of why we should not love our brother. What John makes clear is that this is not about our brother, it is about us.

1 comment:

  1. I can get caught up easily in seeing why I shouldn't love someone. As Pastor Ken said, the "Yes, but". Yes, but: you don't know what they did to me..you don't know what they said to me..etc, etc. I am grateful for having an accountability partner(s) in my life to give me an objective opinion of my attitude and behaviour that is not always right with God. I may say "ouch" but I know in my heart they love me enough to tell me the truth about myself. Christian love is a choice, not a feeling.

    ReplyDelete