Friday, May 1, 2009

May 2 - Genesis 45

Genesis 45

"But his brothers were not able to answer him, because they were terrified at his presence."

Why were the brothers terrified? They knew they had sold Joseph into slavery. They knew he should harbor hatred against them. They knew he was in a position of power to do whatever he wanted. What did he want to do? Offer forgiveness. Save his family. Next time someone offends or bothers you, remember the example of Joseph. Remember his willingness and desire to forgive. His willingness to have faith in God through all the tragic events of his life put him in position to save his family. I would also argue that his willingness to forgive, and not long for vengeance against his brothers, saved Joseph's life.

1 comment:

  1. Forgiveness is one of the hardest things to give someone when they have done you wrong. The other day, I was driving too slowly (the speed limit) down the highway, when the man behind me took it upon himself to let me know I was going too slowly by speeding past me and offering obscene gestures. My first reaction was to speed in front of him again, but I realized the only things I could get out of it were temporary satisfaction and a speeding ticket.
    There have been many other times when my feelings have been hurt, and it is hard to look past that. Joseph's entire story has been an example that I want to follow-especially this. I pray that when I am put in future, similar situations I will respond as Joseph did and offer forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete