Thursday, February 3, 2011

Psalm 62

You can tell by reading this Psalm that the writer is having struggles in life. Yet, he repeatedly acknowledges that "my soul finds rest in God alone". How do we find rest in God? The phrase in verse 8 provides one key: "pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge". As we share the inner most thoughts of our lives we God, our struggles and joys, the depth of our relationship will grow. If our prayer life is simply asking God for what we want, the relationship will always be very shallow.

1 comment:

  1. Soon after I became single, I went to a church retreat in which the leader had us use many of the laments from Psalms to serve as a model for us to write our own laments. I think everyone there did "pour out our hearts to him" and really accepted God as our refuge. Since then, I occasionally read some of these Psalms and use them as models to lament my situations. It's amazing how relevant they still are today!

    ReplyDelete