Thursday, February 10, 2011

Matthew 18

In this chapter Jesus speaks of the seriousness of sin and the importance of forgiveness. Sin is so serious that it is better to chop off my hand or gorge out my eye. Jesus is not literally telling me to do that, but he is emphasizing how serious sin is. Then a few verses later he teaches the importance of forgiveness. To forgive seventy-seven times means that we just keep forgiving.

Sin and forgiveness are huge aspects to our lives. Jesus wants us to flee from sin and embrace forgiveness. Yet, the temptation in life is to embrace sin and justify our lack of forgiveness. That temptation is most likely why Jesus speaks so strongly about both.

1 comment:

  1. Forgiveness is such s wonderful gift that God grants to us. However,it is sometimes very difficult for us to forgive others. In one of the Companion's classes on forgiveness, we found information on what a difference lack of forgiveness makes on us - physically, emotionally and spiritually. I get very frustrated at myself; at times I feel sure that I have completely forgiven certain people in my life. Suddenly, something comes out of my mouth (or in my mind) when I realize, I HAVE NOT done so! I realize that I can't do it alone; Imust ask for God's help if I I am to totally and completely forgive.

    Another area of this passage that especially spoke to me is about children. It makes so sad to see or know of hungry or homeless or uneducated children. I feel very blessed to be part of a church that is doing so much to help children in our community and throughout the world!

    ReplyDelete