Monday, February 21, 2011

2 Peter 2

Good morning friends. For those who don't know me, my name is Melissia and I'm the Communications Director at First Methodist Church in Grapevine. I have not previously posted the daily devotional on the 10 and 10 Blog... that was usually Ken or Jenni or another pastor. But I felt compelled to post this morning as I know many of you look to this blog each day for a connection to Ken and his thoughts.

For those who might not be aware (although I'm sure you all are), Ken passed away very suddenly on Saturday as the result of a brain bleed complicated by previously-undiagnosed leukemia. I am preparing now to send out information about the memorial.

I think Ken would love it if we stayed the course and continued to spend [at least] 10 minutes a day in scripture and 10 minutes a day in prayer. Today's reading is 2 Peter 2. I find it somehow disturbing to read about false teachers in the shadow of the loss of a true teacher. I believe if we read this scripture passage it will help us to know what a true teacher looks like by thinking about opposites. If a false teacher is depraved, destructive, bold, arrogant, corrupt... then a good and noble teacher is the opposite of those things. He or she builds others up, is subtle and righteous and humble and honest. Remind you of anyone?

Please join me in praying this morning for the Diehm family. For the family of First Methodist Church in Grapevine. For St. Andrews Methodist Church in Arlington (where Ken was pastor for many years). For Ken's closest pastor friends. For the Central Texas Conference and its leadership who will be tasked with appointing a new leader. And please begin praying now for whoever that new leader will be... that he or she will epitomize the characteristics of a true and noble teacher.

Be blessed....
Melissia

4 comments:

  1. Melissia- I agree with you, Ken would want this to continue! Thank you for posting your thoughts this morning.
    When I read, the words that stood out to me were in verse 20, "for people are slaves to whatever has mastered them.” What am I a slave to? What worldly things do I allow to take over my thoughts and guide my actions?
    So often do I forget what is real and what is true and get caught up in things that are fleeting-that will not last.
    I hadn't thought of this passage in terms of opposites, but I think that is a great way to look at it. True teachers are far and few, it is a hard thing to be. It is much easier to find flaws in individuals and put them down, rather than seeking out strengths and offering opportunities for those strengths to be put to use for God's purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Melissia, for everything you have done to keep our church strong.

    This blog and the folks who post here are the greatest touchstone - it's like carrying you all with me whereever I go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Melissia. Ken was and will always be a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for keeping this going. This has meant so much to me today.

    ReplyDelete