Saturday, January 8, 2011

Hebrews 12

Hebrews 12 makes it clear that God disciplines us. The difficult aspect of this for me is determining when God is disciplining me and when I am just receiving the consequences of my actions. Maybe, experiencing the consequences is part of God's discipline. When I sin, God forgives me but I still experience the consequences of what I have done. That might be how God disciplines us. We wish he would remove that difficulty, but God leaves it in place that we might learn and grow in faith.

1 comment:

  1. In a book called "The Will of God" by Leslie Weatherhead, he writes about this topic. He stresses his belief that many things happen just as a "natural order of things" rather than God "willing" certain things to happen. That is a comforting belief for me, as I have a difficult time believing that my loving, caring Savior would destroy much of a city (such as New Orleans) or a country (such as Haiti) as a way to discipline people. However, I do believe that I can learn and grow in my faith and spiritual life when bad things happen in my life - if I allow His spirit to work in me. "In all things God works for the good of all those who love Him..."

    ReplyDelete