Thursday, June 25, 2009

Psalm 43 & 44

Psalm 43 is somewhat a continuation of Psalm 42.  This man has been turned away from God and the sanctuary, and is asking for His "light" and his "truth" (v. 3) to lead him back.  This is something that I often forget to do, ask for God's guidance.  He is the perfect leader, yet sometimes I prefer to handle it on my own, or find my own way.

Psalm 44 is a plea for God's help.  I found verses 9 through 16 interesting, as they oppose the tone in the beginning of the psalm.  They seem to be 'blaming' God for all the bad things that have happened to them.  It is so easy to blame God for the bad that has happened in our lives, and to turn away from Him.  The last stanzas of the psalm remind us that we should not be turned away from God in hard times, it is then that we need Him most.  I like verse 23, "Awake! Why are you sleeping, O Lord?  Rouse yourself!"  As if God were sleeping instead of watching over us.  Although this seems a little ridiculous thinking about it now, I know there have been times when I feel like God has left me.  I think this psalm is an example of how things will work on God's time, which isn't always the same as our time.

Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment